Saturday, April 11, 2009

Visitor Entertainment

Mark's parents and grandma Stapleton are here for the Easter weekend. Of course there is always the great debate over what to do. Lots to see here and we wanted something that didn't require too much walking. Before I left Michigan my friend Kelley gave me a touristy type book - you know things to do in the Hudson River Valley - well that book saved our butts today. It was rainy and we were not big on ideas. So I pulled out the book, went to Ulster county and bam picked out a place to go. Lifesaver - and now that we've been here a year I actually have heard of some of these things. So off to Saugerties for a little antique shopping and lunch. First we did lunch.

Drama of the day... I relied on the above mentioned lifesaver book and tripadvisor.com. It hasn't failed me yet, but Mark and gang were very worried when we sat down to order at New World Home Cooking . You know those places that use fancy words for normal food - yeah it was one of those places. LOL! It felt like being inside a Carribean hut sort of - bright colors, funky art work and cool lights. We managed to decipher what might work for everyone and low and behold Mark gave rave reviews about his burger. Better than the Racoon Saloon I heard, not that I got a bite. Not even an offer of a nibble now that I think about it. Barry had eggs benedict special with ropa beef (cooked for 24 hours) and guava hollandise sauce - and grilled fruit. He ate almost all of it, but I did get a bite of that and it was very tasty! We all enjoyed our lunch and had a good chuckle that we almost walked out after ordering drinks. All's well that ends well. The drive there was like a Sunday drive along a river. Definitely worth a redo another weekend. Maybe head over to Woodstock next time and check out the art galleries.

Grandma has made friends with both kitties and is enjoying a good book.
Happy Easter to All!!!!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds super yummy! Cali and Mani both look like they are enjoying Mark's Grandma, and she looks great, nice to see a recent photo of her. She is very sweet.
Now we need some Barry and Helen photos!

Kelly said...

Happy Easter to you and your family!! I love it when you have pictures from inside your house....I'm always looking in the backgroud. It looks like you have done a really nice job decorating!

Marjie said...

Sounds like a great Saturday. Hope we can come in the fall again.