What we did last night was not the LAME part - I will get to that in a moment. The highlight to last night was PF Changs for dinner in Jersey and going across the George Washington Bridge into NY - that was sort of a detour. The city lights up nice at night and it makes us feel like we are on vacation somewhere busy without the hotel bill. Traffic we just what you'd expect in NY. No need to say more. PF's was awesome as usual. The detour was taken to go to the horse races in Yonkers. No winners here. But no big losers.
The seriously lame... the last two times we have gone out to dinner we've witnessed something new. Curious to hear if you would do this or not. Now these are NICE places to eat. Not McDonalds, Denny's or even Applebee's. And I do like Applebee's, but it's not expensive and it's billed as family friendly. After we've been seated the table next to us opens up. In comes a family with a child/ren under 3 or 4. They proceed to whip out the DVD portable player and turn it on FULL BLAST. Not kidding. At the very least put on headphones so you are not disturbing others around you having normal conversations. I didn't come to PF's to hear Barney drone in the background. You know how the music is up pretty loud in PF's - it's not a quiet place by any means and still we could hear it all over the music in the place. We were not the only ones shocked last night. Every table within 20 or see feet whipped their heads around for a look. First of all how do kids learn to be sociable and behave in public when you do this? Second of all you could tell that many were on a date. It was beyond rude on Valentine's weekend. This was our night out. There were other kids there, but none were watching a video while they ate. Take a hint and interact with your child you've brought out for the night like everyone else. If you want a peaceful dinner get a babysitter or even cheaper get take out. PF's does take out. So dinner came and they kept it on while the child ate and kept watching. They were not doing much talking - don't know how they could have. Now that I think about they got served really fast. We were in there for almost 2 hours and they didn't come in until the last half hour and when we left they were almost done. Wonder when the signs will go up tell people to leave their DVD's at home? Sort of like put your cell phone to vibrate.
4 comments:
Totally agree!! I guess people like that are the reason that we always get dirty looks when we walk *into* a restuarant with our crew. We love to eat out, but I am the first one to yank my kid out if he is being disruptive...even at McDonalds. And, my kids know it. ;)
Happy Valentine's Day!!
Kelly is a good mom! I read that people are using their iphones as toys for kids. They have a rattle app even, kids play games and watch video. It's not fair to inflict noise on other's night out.
whew... I thought I just missed the boat. It's sort of scary how some kids are babysat by technology. What will they do when the battery runs out or there is no electricity? Scream? Or talk to their family.
Someone told me to get one of those to occupy the kids at dinner, not sure who. I suppose with headphones it might be okay for a toddler but I am a MUCH bigger fan of getting a sitter and leaving the kids at home. When we take the big girls out it is to interact with them, so definitely no DVD or Leapster to entertain. If you can't get a sitter every single restaurant I know will do take out for you (at the bar-- even fancy steakhouses). So take it home and put the kids to bed.
Post a Comment