Friday, August 26, 2011

hurricane prep

So it appears we are in the path of Hurricane Irene.  That means we are making sure we are well prepared.  Mark had me hit the grocery store last night along with 50 of my new best friends also in a rush!  Makes for fun.  Anyway I figured we had plenty of meal type foods so I bought some potato chips, cookies, nuts, chocolates and food for Lane.  Oh and distilled water - the only kind left on the shelf. That is definitely for Lane.  I did notice my new best friends sort of didn't get the snack food idea.  They were buying chickens and turkeys?  Sandwich meat?  Milk?  Really?  I hope you have a generator to keep your fridge cool.  Gas for your stove?  We don't have gas around here for the most part.  Again confusion on my part.  Our neighbor did give us a ton of tomatoes from his garden today.  I'll be making a huge pot of sauce tonight!  Maybe some salsa too now that I'm thinking about it.    And I have plenty of ice for the cooler to keep that cold if need be.  We have been invited to a hurricane picking party at the local orchard too - come pick a bag of nectarines and get one bag free.  That is a LOT of nectarines.  Like 50 pounds or more!  Not sure what we would do with them all?  Never heard of nectarine pie and canning them just sounds like too much work for me.  Now if they said honey crisp apples I'd be all over it.  But no, just nectaries.  blah.  They would only last about a week.  Don't get me wrong they are very good nectarines.  I'm just not getting excited about that thought.  The apples this year are beautiful and huge!  I hear they are very tasty too due to the weather we've had.  I'll be bummed if they all fall off the trees.  Since not all are ready for picking my fingers are crossed they hold on tight.  A ripe apple will fall if it's that windy.  Those not not ready better hold on tight!

No comments: