Thursday, June 14, 2012

Candy Monster

The terrible two’s are almost upon us or are early?  Holy tantrums.  While Lane is a good eater and not overly picky he can be very stubborn when he see’s something to eat that he wants.  Crackers and cookies can’t be kept on the counter.  Yogurt needs to be hidden in the fridge.   Fruit is fine to a certain extent.  Too many blueberries is not good.  Nor are too many pieces of apple.   Last night he kept pointing at random items in the kitchen and asking for them.  One bowl he was pointing at had no food it in except for a candy bar along with random items...  tv remote, battery charger, golf ball, etc…  The candy bar was hard chocolate with bits of butterscotch and it was leftover from our trip to Aruba.  It was “ok”, but obviously  not something I finished so not that good.  It’s been there a  long time.  I gave in thinking “no harm”.   He got a tiny piece and I thought that would be the end of it. 

Of course not it wasn’t the end of it.  30 minutes of screaming ensued.  He wanted more and it was dinner time.   He refused his cheese and tossed the broccoli.  Normally he loves them both.  Mark then took over when he got home.  30 more minutes of whining and crying.  It was so bad we were laughing.  He was then given the choice of eating his dinner or night-night time.  It was 6:30 and obviously he was tired beyond tired.  So night-night won out.  Minor fussing, but he was asleep in about 15 minutes.   While I felt a little bad to put him to bed without his dinner he really doesn't eat much at dinner time and if he was hungry he would have given in much earlier and eaten his dinner.  An hour of screaming was enough.   We are lucky that he hasn’t figured out that the small stool could be used to get into the cupboards.  That will come I'm sure.  Time to stop having junk food in the house.

p.s.  tossed the chocolate into the trash!

3 comments:

Tina said...

I find great comfort that G is not the only crazy unreasonable toddler in the world. :) hopefully this phase will pass soon with lots of humor sprinkled in! :)

julie said...

Ha ha, this is no stage! THis is the rest of your life!! Sorry to be Debbie Downer but all my kids still beg nonstop for sweets and candy. I just have to keep it out of the house because they wear me down. Box of popsicles? Gone in one day. Batch of cookies? Gone when I wake up in the morning after the girls had a friend over for a sleepover. It is ridiculous and eventually you won't be able to even have a hiding place. You simply can't keep it in the house. Now I am not cruel... I give them sweets but go out for it. They get dessert with dinner out, they get ice cream after soccer, they get M&Ms in the check out lane if they go grocery shopping with me. But, they only get one serving of that sweet and then there is none left. The good news is that Lane is normal... terrible twos really starts at 18 months. You are figuring out how to handle him already, you will survive. Just need to be smart! Also, a glass of wine makes kids more entertaining and less annoying in the evening. Whoops, I guess Mark can let you know if that works!

Paul said...

I got so tired of half drank cans and glasses of pop all over the house. No one ever finished their pop. Guess that wasn't too bad, except I had to clean up.

I would lock the freezer door and hide the key. Stephanie could find anything. I tried. Mom