Friday, June 8, 2012

From Infant to Toddler

It’s official Lane graduated to the Toddler Room last week and this is the end of his first week with the big kids.  So far so good.  The teachers love him and say he’s a very nice little boy.  Fun to watch and be around.  The first couple of times I picked him up and he was quiet.  Last night he was the one I heard coming down the stairs.  Talking away and walking around with a truck. 

Once in a while you can pick out a word he says amid all the chatter.  Of course he understands it all so we should too.  On our ride home Wednesday night he kept repeating the same sentence and I kept saying “ok”, “yes” and  “tell me more” because the only word I understood was “stuck”.  It was like I was being scolded because his finger was a wagging.  He sounded kind of bothered, but not upset.  Just wanted me to know something.  I had asked what he did at school that day and that was his response.  Last night I asked the girls who watch him in the afternoon if he got stuck on something and told them why.  Turns out he gets “stuck” in a car on the playground because he gets into it the wrong way and then whines for a rescue.   He’s also picking up other life skills.  As in how to pick his nose!  That was day #2.  He thought it was hilarious and watched me to see what I’d do.   He hasn’t done it since…  because I thought he had stuffed something up there I immediately tilted his head back to look and see what was there.  It also involved pushing his nose around to get a look.  Must not have been fun…

Next week they get to go on picnic outside for lunch, which he will love.  She said they will bring the treats like ice cream or other junk food and then she looked at me as if to ask if that was ok.  Must be my request he eat fruit for one snack a day put me in the picky mommy category.  I said that was fine and explained the fruit request.  They give crackers and cookies for snacks 3 times day along with juice.   He gets more than enough carbs from all his snacking and meals and he needs more fruits and veggies.  I can’t imagine he’d be happy if they put green beans or peas in front of him, but fruit pretty much always wins over any other food.  And it does make a better diaper the next day if he’s had an apple or banana.  This is to their advantage because I pay big bucks for those poopy diaper changes!  Perk of being in daycare!
I'm a big boy now!

1 comment:

Paul said...

He sure can talk, it's the understanding that is difficult. He is so cute.