Thursday, July 9, 2009

beepin' fun ... how to fix the fire alarm

Definitely not funny at the time, but as a note to self I will blog last nights drama/trama/annoyance. It starts with the power going off mid-day. Mark was home getting ready for a trip so he had to listen to the fire alarm beep for an hour or so - he followed my instructions as I "knew" how to get it to shut up. No dice. The builder had told me this might happen and how to "fix" it. Didn't work.
So the builder is wrong and I call him. He tells me there is a battery that I might need to change. huh? It's hardwired. I think he's mixing our house up with another, but agree to go home and look. Wow - there is a battery. He's told me to change them ALL out. So I count them all - there are 7 and I have one 6V battery at home. ONE - that means I need to go spend lots of money to make them shut up.
So off to the grocery store - Target isn't close and I'm in need of a few grocery items. $18 later I have my batteries. I go home and swap the first one out - it's still beeping. Loudly I might add. I then proceed to ladder up and look at the others. Hmmm... no batteries in them. That's right only one needs a battery because they are all interconnected. When one goes off they all go off. Nice safety feature I'm sure.
At this point I'm pissed - I just spent $18 on 6 more batteries I don't need. But also happy that I switched out that one battery. But it's still beeping.
Time for option B - pull the breaker for a minute. done... still beeping.
Time for google. I find the company and call - they are closed. Upon further reading I see I might need to vacuum out the smoke alarm to remove dust. Ok... whatever. Helpful FAQ - not.
I do that - it is still beeping and I have the vacuum in array in the hallway.
Back to google. Time for the owners manual - we don't have one, but I can download one.
Tip #1 for changing the battery:
Shut off the electricity. (duh)
Then change the battery. (yeah...)
And finally.... press down the test button with the electricity still off for 10 seconds.
viola! No more beeping. (ok, this is a bit much to get your alarm to stuff it and I have to wonder how many people have ripped theirs out of the ceiling at this point - the beeping is annoying!)
This took me at least 2 hours with the trip to the grocery store and many choice words.
And if you think that leaving the breaker off quiets it... it doesn't. I makes the beep louder!
So six months from now I will be pulling up this blog and doing this all over again...

No comments: