Saturday I made a pie after visiting the farmer's market. They had more sour cherries - and I love cherries! After making my pie crust I thought it was a bit puffy. Remember I am blonde, but rarely use that excuse for messing up. Well upon further inspection I noticed I did follow the directions and use all the ingredients as directed except for using self rising flour. It was turning out great and was super easy to make. I put it in the fridge to chill while I made the filling. Upon taking it out I figured out that I used SELF RISING FLOUR! yep. Self rising flour.
Now I could have started over if I'd had more butter and salt, but I didn't and I didn't feel like making a trip to the store for it. So I used my trusty google skills and you could make a crust with it. I thought I could make it work. Well... to counterbalance the extra salt I added sugar to the crust. LOL! sigh... It looked kind of like a normal pie, but the crust was too salty. I actually would use it again, but not add any SALT to the crust. It makes it sort of like a cookie crust.
The filling... fantastic with a crumb topping. So not all was lost as that was tasty and I just scooped that out, warmed it up and ate that. yummy. Minus the crust.
Off again to the market tomorrow. Might just stick with apricots and not cooking this time.
2 comments:
Being new to the self rising flour thing, I am intrigued. What is the recipe for pie crust? I made my mom's shortcake recipe with SRF and it turned out very good.
just use a pie crust recipe and omit salt! I'll find which one I used because it was easy and good (or would have been good!)
Post a Comment