Tuesday, January 26, 2010

traffic games

I'm pretty sure there is a kids game similar to the driving experience in Reading, PA. It's the one where you shoot the car down a ramp into the flow of traffic and try to not get it knocked off the narrrow track. That's how you merge onto the expressway in Reading in quite a few spots. Actually every ramp I've gone down is like that. This morning I made a game out of it. There is a yield sign and to most that means nothing more than time it right to slide into the slot between two cars. You must avoid eye contact too. Flinch and it's over. Punch it and go "weeeee" - make sure it's high pitched for the right effect. This morning I probably should have looked because I was cutting off a cop. Good thing he had other things in mind. I didn't even get a warning light. The highways are super narrow with no shoulders and concrete barriers just to make it all the more fun. The worst roads ever and I'm not even talking about pot holes this time. The other part of the game is avoiding the morning glare. Great ball of fire is how I would describe it. I couldn't figure out why traffic was going so slow and then I went around the bend and was totally blinded. Need to find the back way from the hotel to the office for future trips.
Now for the question of the day... why do people not drive in the right lane of a three or four lane highway? They drive in the middle lane and then look at you like you are the nut when you pass on the right waving. Ok, I don't wave, but I do look at them. The signs say "slow traffic stay right" and well you are going slow if I am passing you on the right and I'm not in England. Oh wait - they can't read. ahhh.... I am not going to go out in the left lane and draw attention to the fact I am driving a little above the speed limit. I seriously think anyone who immigrates to the US legally or illegally should have to pass a driver's test in ENGLISH - the road signs are not in Spanish or Chinese so why let them take a test in a language that the signs are not in? In case you didn't know drivers from India don't understand the signs because they don't use signs there - they drive the same way those in Reading drive. They shut their eyes and go "weeeee"! Seriously no signs there something I've learned from working with someone from there.
Tomorrow is a nice quiet 25 minute commute. yay!

1 comment:

Marjie said...

you are so brave ...