So our road trip was a bit longer than previously planned as we headed over to the ocean instead of directly north. On Friday, after we found Waldo (the mamouth Expedition), we took off for VA. Spent an hour riding around the parking garages with the parking guy trying to find it. So annoying after getting up at 4:00 am, but I was assured that there were plenty of other cars we could drive home. People just abandon their cars in the parking garage there and the airport leaves them for a year or more before moving. They hope they change their mind and then have to pay the parking fee. Crazy...
We hadn't decided where to stop until after a brief break at a furniture outlet clearance center we decided to head to Virginia Beach. We didn't find any great deals and really it was overwhelming. If I had a huge moving van and oh say $5,000 I would have had a field day. It was a nice day and we wanted to see the ocean so we set off to Virginia Beach. Our hotel was in a great location and I wish it had been lighter longer so we could have seen more of it. Our sleep in day was interrupted by the Marines doing their morning run and chant. It was so loud - we thought it was in our hotel. Nope - outside. argh. So up early and on the road heading north. Mark wanted to stop at the race track in Dover, MD and we made it there just after lunch. Cool race track and there was a very nice casino. We can't resist gambling after all. After an hour of playing and basically being even we moved on. Destination... Philly! Neither of us had been there and we wanted to take a ghost tour at the Eastern State Pennitentiary. (and no I can not spell). While it was scary it was not the scary I was looking for - it was fake scary! I will admit to screaming and being a baby about leading the group - no idea how I got stuck with it, but I think Mark is the bigger baby making me go first! Said he liked to see me scream - I think he didn't want to be the one screaming. Guess I don't do that enough at home or something. I wanted a real ghost hunt - we had heard this place was haunted. So we decided to come back the next morning for a real tour with history and all. Very cool. Highly recommend it. Got to see Al Capone's cell and all sorts of other neat history. It is sort of spooky even during the day. We also hit Reading Terminal on Sunday - wish we had gone on Saturday, but even on Sunday morning we managed a Philly Steak Sandwich - it was so good. Need to learn how to do those peppers at home. Doubt I can do the meat - it was so thin and yummy. Not really greasy either. Now that we know a bit more about what we can do there we'll go back sometime.
And where are pictures - cause I know that makes this all the better... well Mark has the cord and is on the road. Will post this weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment