And I totally made that title up to go with Friday! Mainly this is just a random thought post and a bit of advice for those who do hiring - entry level hiring that is!
I do a lot of hiring and listen to others talk about hiring. The other day I was listening to someone compare candidates (and no it's not you Mark - someone else) and I had the resumes in front of me. In looking at the resumes I had the thought why not just pick the one with the best background and go with it. Skip the interview - maybe give them a once over to make sure they shower and dress for work, but other than that does it really matter? Sometimes not really.
Let's say the candidates are coming from a recruiter or temp agency. You bring them in for an interview and they've been prepped by the recruiter on what to say so they say what they know you want to hear. (wow that was a long sentence!!!) One may be given an edge by the recruiter because the recruiter likes them more or it's their candidate and the other candidate belongs to someone else in that office. (read between the lines... the recruiter whose candidate is picked will be getting a bonus!) We are also talking about an entry level position. Does the interview really matter? Is it worth wasting an hour with three different people to interview this person? Nope. Just pick the best on paper and if they don't work out let em' fly the first week.
What really matters is how they WORK - not what they've done before and what they were told to say in the interview. Don't be silly enough to think they have not been prepped - I've been placed by a recruiter and I was coached. Now it was a bit different because I was coached on what to say about my experiences and how they would apply. In this case they will say that they are detailed oriented, organized and prompt to work - even if they aren't because they know you want this and they think they can do it. Trust me if you aren't good with details by now you are really going to struggle. (and if you're office is a chaotic and organized mess now it always will be - trust me on this one - I know firsthand!) Also trust me when I say I can find anything in my office that I need too - just give me five minutes. LOL!
p..s. I had a way better story to tell on benefits... oh what the heck I'm sure you need a good laugh. SO this is my 2nd free piece of advice...
I'm sure you all know that government health insurance is for those without access to it a their job - or at least this is how it works in NY when you qualify for state aid. Sort of stinks if you get caught on it while working at a job that offers it. Now do you think you can sue the government and your company when they make you switch? I guess some people think so... my advice (and it's not heeded)... be sure to read that fine print first or you'll waste money on that lawyer who will read it for you and tell you to cough up money to him for reading that fine print for you and telling you that "no you can't sue"! Entitlement is a scary thing. It also makes me chuckle at times like this. I'm almost thinking that this would make a fun "Not My Employee Monday" post - instead of a ""Not ME Monday" post.
1 comment:
Exactly, one time when I was interviewing for jobs I had simular thoughts. Anyone can be preped for an interview, how they act and what they say has nothing to do with their work ethic and talent. Same goes with what they are wearing. Even personality can be faked.
Post a Comment