you knew all your friends phone numbers by heart in high school? I can still remember our home phone number from then and my parents don't even live there - it was 772-0853. Now for the sad part... I couldn't tell any of you, with the expection of my husband what your phone number is now. All my phone numbers are programmed into my cell phone. I select phone book or hit the green button to see who called me last and then hit the green button again - pure magic if you ask me.
Now why you are wondering is this even a post - I mean hello big deal. Well it is if you just learned your cell phone number and you've had the phone for almost 18 months it is a memorable moment! Pathetic, but it is a hard number to remember... 270-5694 - I think that's it - pretty sure anyway. See no consecutive numbers or numbers to do with anything in my life. And honestly I rarely have to tell anyone what my number is because everyone has caller ID so for me to parrot it back it useless because they can see it on their screen and save it. The rest of the people are those I work with and since it's a work phone they just call my programmed number. This morning we had a breakfast at 6:00 am and for me this means getting up at 4:30 am to get it all done. That is way too early. At about 8:00 pm last night it occured to me that I hadn't heard from the supervisor so I sent her an e-mail to let her know if it was cancelled to call at 11pm and leave me a message on my cell phone. I told her I wouldn't answer and it would be on silent, but I would check it when I got up and go back to bed if it was off. It then dawned on me that I still hadn't memorized my number and led me to think about why... technology is a wonderful thing, but it takes away some of your brain power I think. And I'll be out of luck if I lose my cell phone and all the connections in it because as I said I don't know anyone's number any more.
3 comments:
Well said.
I have all my numbers stored on my lap top too, and after forgetting my address book last winter, all the addresses too. As long as my computer doesn't puke I am ok.
Not only did I know dozens of phone numbers in the past, I knew many, many zip codes from when I was 18 and worked at a bank. So weird.
I remember the Domino's in GR is, or at least was 16 years ago, 774-2293. :)
Post a Comment