Sunday, October 4, 2009

Walkway over the Hudson

The latest tourist attraction hits the Hudson Valley! The car bridge is in the background and if you went that way down the river you would come to New York City.

The bridge goes from Highland/Llyod to Poughkeepsie - it's about 5 minutes from our house.


A new state park opened near us yesterday - the Walkway over the Hudson. Amid much hoopla we managed to find a good parking spot that only being a local you would find. We then took a shuttle to the bridge. Much like it sounds it is a bridge over the Hudson River. Creative I know. It used to be used for trains and they converted it to allow pedestrian traffic - people, dogs, bikes, jugglers, and crazies. Last winter they did one of those reality shows - I think it was World's Scariest Jobs or most dangerous on the construction of the bridge. It's about 1.25 miles across and 212 feet high. I didn't feel as though I was that high in the air and unlike the last bridge we walked across it was not see through grates. Thank goodness! Not scary at all. The sides are nice and high, but not high enough to discourage jumpers. From what I can see they have the signs for people to call for help, but no phones. Just lots of park rangers and cops.


It was a full moon night and that was quite helpful as there are NO lights on the bridge. Perfect night to be out there. Mild temps and no wind. Pretty sky too.
I mentioned the crazies - this is one of them! Really there were just a bunch of circus type acts and I'm pretty sure they were real circus performers - kind of gypsie like. This freak show would dance with people and there were 4 of them.



3 comments:

Ryan said...

Love the new picture at the top!
Andrea

Katie said...

that was a camera boo-boo and it turned out cool

Marjie said...

Great pics of you and Mark.