First stop was to take a quick tour - this is down in a tunnel.
From the observation deck you can see the backside of the dam. The construction of it was pretty amazing.
The bridge in the background was delayed for two years when the crane used to put the pieces in place broke last year during 80 mile an hour winds. Now I ask you... would you be that stupid as to operate a crane in winds that high? A crane that takes 2 years to replace. All I could think of to say was "glad it wasn't me who was doing the firing!"
Half in Nevada and half in Arizona - or pretty close to it. The towers behind us take in the water for the supplies being diverted to the southwest US.
The white line is the water line for Lake Mead and it's down 75 feet from where it should be. That also means the water is down way low on the dam. Being from NY where people jump off bridges all the time we thought this might happen here too, but really it is not normally that far to the water. Right now it is. I was amazed at the blueness of the water. I don't care if blueness is not a word... it sounds cool to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment