Thursday, March 5, 2009

almost done with probation!

as a volunteer firefighter that is - and it is Mark we are talking about here - not me who enjoys quiet Tuesday nights while he is at drill. He joined the local volunteer group back in November and his six months are almost up. woohoo! This week he got his uniform and he mentioned the word "dry cleaners" and not "will you iron this" - music to my ears. I am so not a fan of ironing! He needs the uniform for parades and official events - not going to a fire. For that he wears whatever he has when the buzzer goes off. I'd love to see what most of these guys run out of the house in. He also got another pager and we have to see if it works so until they both go off we will have tandem noises at night. No idea when - that would take away the fun of it. If you must know we've only had one 3am buzzer and that was for a public service call way back in the beginning. I'd have to say this is a sleepy village with no night life and the lack of calls at midnight proves that.
There are several big "fire" events this month and I will get to meet more people. First off we have the Fireman's Ball - that is what I am calling because I get to dress up and wear pantyhose (oh joy) and heel's (double joy). Really I do like to dress up and go out, but it's not a normal event so I will need to dig through my closet to figure out:
a. what fits
b. what is in season
c. is it in style
d. all of the above....
you got it D. is the answer! LOL! I'm not used to a spring party - Christmas yes, but I can't wear velvet for this thing!
It should be fun because it's at some fancy hotel in Poughkeepsie. I'm very curious to see how they do it up. If I'm good I'll take my camera.
Next weekend they are doing a pancake breakfast. Pancakes are sorely missed by me - they don't know how to make them big and fluffy here and no I have not mastered that fine technique either. I've tried and failed. Must have something to do with the water in NY. NY pizza has flat crust so there must be something not in the water here.

2 comments:

Aaron, Katie, Kylie & Ava said...

Way to go Mark!! You'll have to post a picture of him in his uniform and keep us informed on what you'll be wearing to the Fireman's Ball. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Marjie said...

Does sound fun, must have pics. And since you are new, no one has seen your clothes.