Cilantro was on sale when we went shopping this week so I had to buy some salmon and make a yummy marinade with it for dinner. Normally it comes in these tiny plastic boxes and it was triple that size and super fresh for even less than the usual $2.99. The marinade was one mom made when they visited. Here goes...
Chop about 1/4 cup cilantro, mix in 1/2 tsp of ground cumin and 2 tsp of chili powder and 1 tablespoon olive oil - very good! Put salmon in a dish and rub it on and let set in the fridge for 2 hours covered with plastic wrap. Grill on high until you think it's done. I like my well done. Since I was out of limes - you know they just grow on trees in NY in the blizzard - so I used a lemon and let another 1/4 of cilantro soak in it. I poured that on after it was done grilling. The recipe calls for a 1/4 of butter to go with it, but I like the marinade so well that I skipped it. Use a lime if you can - the lemon works, but the lime tastes better. While I loved it the cats did not like my leftovers. Too much chili for Mani? Wow! LOL!
Being that I do like cilantro and it comes in huge bunches I had to make use of the rest of it - can't be tossing it out! So I made chicken salad from the huge batch of chicken breasts I cut up mostly for chicken noodle soup. It came out very good so I will share. These are all things I like - you might not.
Katie's Chicken Salad:
2 - chicken breasts cut up after being boiled
1/3 to 1/2 cup low fat mayo
a blob of ranch dressing (probably about 2 tablespoons)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. of celery seed
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1/4 cup of pecans (or any type of nut)
sprinkles of salt and pepper to taste
Put in a covered bowl - like tupperware - and shake well.
And I still have lots of cilantro leftover so I feel a Mexican night coming on - got any good recipes that use it?
4 comments:
Make some salsa and freeze it for later. Yummy salsa recipe in the cookbook I gave you. It's super easy and fun.
I agree to use it for salsa...Yumm!!! I have a recipe on my blog. I can find it if you are interested. I love salsa!!
ok I'm coming to search out salsa recipes! that sounds so good right now! Salsa and chips with cheese do make a meal right? LOL! Carbs, veggies, and protein.
ok, here's mine.
http://outnumberedmommy.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-love-salsa.html
I hope you like it. It is soooo good with the Tostito Lime Chips. I LOVE cilantro! I'm jealous of your find.
Post a Comment