I think they actually call it child birth class, but whatever I prefer to call it how to have a baby class. Anyway we had our class today. Initially she said it was 9 to 5 with a break for lunch in the cafe, but we got done early because Mark and I were really the only ones to ask questions. Might be because we've spent some time there already and I wanted to know how things really work when you are in labor and not just visiting for a 23 hour stay. The first hour of the class was total review for us, which made for some ansty pants in a not so comfy chair. My big concern given we live in the an area big on the all natural ways of life was that we'd only hear about natural child birth and that was quickly put to rest by the nurse teaching the class. She had an epidural with her most recent child so she was able to knowledgeably discuss that topic much to my delight. After watching the various video's I think Mark now has a much better understanding of it all and why I am open to having an epidural. Much less work for him in the end. During the hospital tour the baby decided to act up and she asked if I was having a contraction. Umm... no he's going under my ribs and I was focused on redirecting him down. Then she told a story about a couple ladies ,who during previous tours, ended up being admitted and delivering the day of their classes. I did not want that to be me! He can come tomorrow however if he'd like.
So the highlight of the day was being able to see where they do the buffet for the meals in the maternity unit. In addition to a wonderful selection of food, which I will say is actually good, you can have a great view of the Hudson River while you eat and you can take your baby with you in the little plastic cage thing they call a basinett. They encourage you to eat there to get a break from your room and Mark can also eat with me for free. That is his reward for being a good support person I guess. The sandwiches looked mighty good to me - I can't wait to eat lunch meat again! Cold lunch meat because as you may guess heating it up before eating it is just well gross. A stack of Boar's Head all natural turkey on some really good bread would hit the spot about now - cold not warm!
Now we just need to finish packing our bags and get that car seat installed and we will be good to go. Even if we don't get those things done we are fine. I wouldn't mind another pair of those non-slip blue socks!
No comments:
Post a Comment