Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Festivities










What would Memorial Day be without a small town parade? We were quite excited to score a great parking spot and also hit the bakery before the parade started - it should have been a sign as to the size of this event. Before the parade could even start there was a fire call so all the fire trucks took off with half the parade! Seriously these pictures are about 3/4 of the parade. Towards the end Mark, in his stage whisper voice, said "Is this it?" and the lady driving the ambulance SUV said "yes". I had to laugh - I'm always telling him he talks really loud and even she heard him. Like I said it was a small parade. The local paper today said 350 people were there. Not sure who they were counting, but that is at least double what I saw. My favorite was the local Democrats. Need I say more? Seriously I missed the two best Democrats to get the full effect - sorry...





After the parade we walked the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. It's heavily traveled by lots of cars and trucks and is about 2 miles long and really, really high. Can I say really HIGH one more time? I hate heights, but I did it - and no I will not walk across it when you come visit. Did it once and that is more than enough. Here are a few pictures to prove it. Notice my arm muscles clinging to the rail?

Newburgh in the background.

Mark is fearing his sunglasses will be blown off - the winds were blowing 25 mph!
View from the middle
I made it to the other side! Notice I'm only gripping my bag now?
That is Beaon in the background now.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm cringing watching you on that bridge. I would have felt very similar. Mark being loud makes for good entertainment.