Sunday, May 25, 2008

Things in the City!

So we ditched the gas guzzling SUV and took the train to the city on Friday night. It's $20 a person round trip - less than gas and parking! I ended up getting the "good seat" - which in my family is the window seat and Mark didn't even fight me for it. The view of the river is well worth just the ride alone. If it wasn't a commuter route to the city I'm sure it would be big with the tourists. Our hotel was down near Wall Street and truly is a best kept secret. Club Quarters - very nice, but small. Like you care when you aren't there to be in your room. They had a water machine with free bottles you refill. Very cool. Comfy bed and nice shower. What more do you want? You might not be in Times Square, but the subway is right there and that gets you anywhere you want to go. We hit Little Italy for dinner and next time will roll the dice and just pick a place at the last minute. The food was ok - nothing wonderful or unique. I did see lots of other cool places to eat for next time. To get to Little Italy we had to walk through China Town and I think I might like to eat in one of those places - but must do some research. In the morning we took a walk down to Battery Park where you can catch the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty - I guess we were just in time for a wet suit show or something? Maybe a race. LOL!

Now it's beyond me why some people weren't wearing wet suits, but we didn't stick around long enough to see if they were brave enough to jump in the water with those in wet suits. I know the water must have been freezing cold! And notice I didn't take their pictures! LOL!


This is as close to Lady Liberty as I got (see her way in the background) - the line was at least a half a mile long to just get on the boat. No way will I wait that long for anything... except maybe a huge brownie sundae or something equally sinful. Maybe on a future trip it will be shorter and we'll do it - I would like to without the wait. Yes, I am a bit spoiled and hate lines and waiting and crowds.
We then hopped the subway to Yankee Stadium and had lunch at a the Court Diner near there. Beat the hot dogs we had last time in the stadium. Our tickets were in the bleachers and while it's way out there it was right behind the bull pen and that was fun to see all the pitchers warming up and let me tell you there was a lot of that going on! The people were the best part. I had this big brassy lady in front of me and it turns out she is sitting between her daughter and future son-in-law. Poor guy is all I can say. I was quite excited when she moved down a seat as I could then see without sitting up totally straight and leaning towards the guy next to me. Good thing she couldn't drink or she would have been totally obnoxious (we were in the no beer section). Didn't know that when I got the tickets, but it was just fine and no one spilled on us. Beer gets warm in the sun and we don't drink it fast enough. A Coke is a better bet. The Yankee's won - probably my pretty pink new Yankee hat brought them good luck or something. ha.... They do really stink this season. This is the view from our seats:

See the ants on the field -those are the players!

Our trip home was uneventful and we even rode backwards so I could again have a window seat. It took some strategy to not end up in the "hot" car, but we did good. For some reason the air conditioning wasn't in all the cars. Weird and miserable if you ask me. It's a good thing we spent the night in the city on Friday as I now have a miserable cold and it's beautiful out. Go figure. Maybe the warmth will dry me out! We did hit a few golf balls at the driving range - hoping to play a round soon!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I believe the proper term was "The Happy Seat".

Katie said...

oh yes - you are right. I think you even coined the term "happy seat". It did make me happy - it's not like a total stranger would give up that seat for me.

Stephanie said...

If you cried and whined enough anyone will give up the 'happy seat'. At least that's what I learned as a child.

Katie said...

let's just keep that quiet now please....