Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Desert Garden

So we had to have this dug to lay the electrical. We were just told an 18 inch trench. Then aweek later were told the electrical outlet pole had to be 5 feet from the pool. So Mark had to hand dig it. No small feat. Nightmare actually. We live in the most rocky place ever. Then the electrician sends one of his guys to install it and I'm the only one home. I hear him on the phone with his boss saying the trench is not far enough from the pool. Now I know he said the pole had to be five feet from the pool and it was so I went down to chat. Turns out the WHOLE TRENCH must be 5 feet from the pool. Seriously how about communicating that to us a bit better. So he and his boss decide they will just call their inspector friend to come check it out - he will pass it. And he did! It was pretty close and that's all I'm saying.


So why the desert garden topic post? Well since the earth is so hard and rocky here I figured this was my chance to put in a garden of sorts. We went to Lowe's and I moved some plants I had in other gardens to start filling it in. Mostly blooming flowers that will attract butterflys and humming birds. And they were advertised to be heat tolerate requiring little water. Now who does this is 100 degree heat? Me. Probably not the brightest plan, but if I let the earth sit too long it will get hard again. So the poor plants are getting lots of water and this does look like the desert right?

2 comments:

Marjie said...

It is always good to add a little dirt when you plant in bad soil. Your lilies are blooming nicely right now. Did I ever bring you some of them???

Katie said...

the soil has been fertilized by nature - smelled like a farm under the first 12 inches and was quite dark. I didn't get any of the lillies - you will have to come visit and bring some! I have room. Also room for anything else you might want to thin out.