Friday, April 18, 2008

Mexican Rocks

Dutchess County is truly foodie heaven. Mark wonders why I don't mind when he's gone - I'm out checking out places to eat. There is no way I'm up for a big meal tonight after my wonderful lunch. This latest find is near work - it's a bit pricy for a normal lunch, but once in a while or for dinner would be fine. It's called Cafe Maya and it's very good - best I've had in a long time. Knocks the socks off anything I had in GR. It's right in downtown Beacon - nothing like downtown GR - think of Saugatuck with more rifraf. The area is up and coming I'm sure. The cook/staff appear to be from Mexico and the food is very tasty, but not weird or unidentifable. I had the chicken fajita's and they more than lived up to my expectations and I even have enough left for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow - it was a huge heaping mound of chicken, onions, and peppers. Truly enough for a family of four. The tortilla's were freshly made and hot and the salsa was to die for - homemade for sure. The rice and beans were even good - in fact that's why I have so much of the other stuff left over as I ate it all. My co-worker had a veggie quesadilla and we couldn't quite figure out what they did to the veggies, but wow it was amazing and tasty. We traded with each other so we could have more tastes. She had no left overs and we both left stuffed.
I think I forgot to mention the Chinese place I found - also very near work called Asian Ginger. While the atmosphere is poor it's great for take out. We normally split a lunch here and then get spring rolls. Each spring roll has a whole little shrimpy in it - freshly made. I don't see alot of fried food leaving here so that's a good sign. The chicken is nicely sliced breast meat and not chunks of chicken thigh or something weird. Unlike most Chinese places it's loaded with veggies and if you don't like broccoli you can ask for something else. This wins for cheap lunch if we split - it's only $3 each and there are left overs. My co-worker raves over the shrimp dishes and she's choosey about her food so I know it must be good.
Now I'm sure you are wondering if my clothes still fit and I'm proud to say they do - my eat out's are somewhat limited to two lunches a week really unless I'm out for training and then that doesn't count. That and we are walking every night up the hills.

4 comments:

julie said...

Stop teasing!

Andrea said...

Isn't that a drug? Mexican Rocks? the food sounds great. can't wait to visit

Andrea said...

That last comment was from me, Mom. I am on Andrea's computer.

Katie said...

better plan on a long weekend Julie - I'll have to map it all out.