Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cherry Pickin'

Don't they look yummy?

When you live in the middle of the orchards it's hard to ignore fruit picking season. Signs are all over the place. The Japanese certainly are on top of it as well because I was the only person speaking English other than the college kids working there. It sounded like they were tourists for sure. I would guess they can't read or think they are exempt from stuffing their faces full of fruit while picking. Oh wait - they were sitting on their buckets plucking from the tree's and putting it right in their mouths even better. I bet they only walked out with a couple pounds. Wonder if they know that they are sprayed and should be washed before eating. hmmmm... probably not.
With all the rain we've had the sour cherries are the best crop - the sweet reds are split and not worth picking. The white ones are the favorites of the Japanese - and I think they were tasteless, but whatever makes you happy. So tonight it's cherry crisp! Yum!
And I just thought these were pretty - they grow along our road.

2 comments:

Marjie said...

Freeze some sour cherries for pies and cobblers. So good. Maybe cherry freezer jam too. Lucky you.
Growing up at home we had a sour cherry tree - Montmorency cherry. A very fond memory.

Katie said...

I'm going to hunt some down to freeze - I only picked enough for one dessert - didn't know it would take so many. They are only open on the weekends and we are gone this coming one. Next time I need to boil them down a little more or use another recipe - not cherry enough. oops.