Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Driver Tips...

So you know how much I love driving over the bridge to get to work and go home - not. Friday I actually ditched to the right to avoid getting on the bridge is a downpour/thunder/lightening/wind storm. Something I've never done - I mean it's only rain right? Wrong - it's wind and maybe a tornado and for some reason I don't know if the bridge would remain standing through a tornado. I was not the only one - and there was a huge mess when it was time to finally get back into traffic. Hiliarous in one way, but I was able to jump back in. Others were not so lucky and traffic was then snarled for hours. Ooops.
Yesterday there was a jumper or stalled car so they shut down 2 of the 3 lanes during rush hour. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Jump off a bridge in rush hour. I prefer to think his car was stalled. You know how it is when they are narrowing the lanes from three to one. Those who think they are better than the rest of us race up to the very end. Rude, rude. I learned a trick from another driver that made me laugh for quite some time. He was driving a big red van and pulled up just in front of me and I attempted to let him in. He just waved and motioned me forward and then we went neck and neck until everyone behind him was forced to pull in. Then I let him in - it worked really well. The guy behind him was so pissed, but really he was supposed to get in about a half mile back and didn't so it was his problem. He actually still tried to get ahead of me when the red van got in and I cut him off - take a hint you are not more special than anyone else on the road in your tiny gas saving car. Big truck vs. little car - hmmm... I win. they told us to all get over at the beginning of the bridge so if you didn't you can just sit with the rest of us patiently or get on over to keep things moving.

2 comments:

Marjie said...

Yes the bridge can be a problem. How much farther north is the next bridge?

Katie said...

the other bridge makes for a 15 minute longer drive and can be just as bad with only one lane each way