Not sure if you remember hearing about the calorie law in NYC - the one where all eating establishments must list the total calorie count on the menu or little sale tag for each item from the coffee (6 calories) to filet mignon (900 calories - it was in a butter sauce - really? take it off so I can eat a roll!). This means bakeries, bagel shops, sandwich joints and all restaurants do it! Yes all. This is where you wish you didn't know theory comes in. I mean I don't mind knowing about the calories, but I am on VACATION! Sort of ruins some of the fun. Imagine sitting down for dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (no we did go there, but did look at the menu) - do you really want to know at that point. Well, maybe if you are on weight watchers or something like that, but not on vacation!
Not sure when this went down, but this trip it was in full force and very noticable. I may have blogged about it before, but I forgot about it. In retrospect it is helping me think the reception treats were even better on Friday night because I have no idea how many calories each little slider or tiny egg roll was - now that is pure bliss directly to the hips. It was a buffet and we didn't see the menu - whew. Let me tell you they were yummy! The brushcetta was the best and I'm sure also the lowest in calories! LOL! But like I said I didn't know how much I consumed and in this case I wouldn't have cared all that much. We won't even mention all the beer - it was at Chelsea Brewing Company and we enjoyed a few of their brews with those hippy treats. Our favorite (and the training wheel version of their beers) was the Checker Cab Blond Ale. Smooth and slides down easy. Since it was an all you can eat and drink event for two short hours we did just that- drink, drink, and drink. Sort of felt like I was in college again - it was a college alumni event after all for EKU. Here are a couple pics before the event at Chelsea Pier.

Saturday was a totally different story. Yankee Stadium here we come... all calories were posted everywhere and we were hungry, but with those numbers to look at it took a while to see EVERY food booth and ponder the calorie counts. Now keep in mind fat is not shown - whew. Do you think we ordered the garlic fries or popcorn? FRIES! The fries were 2,000 less calories! I know this seems odd, but I'm not questioning it because that is what I wanted. The large tub of salty, buttery popcorn was 2,250 calories!!! So yeah, whatever, I'm eating my fries and rejoicing in the fact that they are lower in calories than the freaking bucket of popcorn. The steak and cheese sandwich - I think maybe 500 or 600 hundred calories - the ice cream bucket was 480 calories. The pop 230 ... it goes on and on. We split it all - I think that removes the guilt factor here right? At this point I won't even mention how crazy expensive the food was - let's just say we could have had lunch at Ruth's Chris and come out about even. Well pretty close.
Now do you think this is making people think twice about eating crap? It made us that's for sure. I saw two people with buckets of popcorn. A very small child and someone else. Makes me think other people probably were watching too.
Our final treat to savor... cupcakes ... all the rage in the city... check out the link they are to die for! It was a random find near our hotel. We bought two and we have not eaten them yet - and they survived the trip home! mmmmm.....
Not sure when this went down, but this trip it was in full force and very noticable. I may have blogged about it before, but I forgot about it. In retrospect it is helping me think the reception treats were even better on Friday night because I have no idea how many calories each little slider or tiny egg roll was - now that is pure bliss directly to the hips. It was a buffet and we didn't see the menu - whew. Let me tell you they were yummy! The brushcetta was the best and I'm sure also the lowest in calories! LOL! But like I said I didn't know how much I consumed and in this case I wouldn't have cared all that much. We won't even mention all the beer - it was at Chelsea Brewing Company and we enjoyed a few of their brews with those hippy treats. Our favorite (and the training wheel version of their beers) was the Checker Cab Blond Ale. Smooth and slides down easy. Since it was an all you can eat and drink event for two short hours we did just that- drink, drink, and drink. Sort of felt like I was in college again - it was a college alumni event after all for EKU. Here are a couple pics before the event at Chelsea Pier.
Saturday was a totally different story. Yankee Stadium here we come... all calories were posted everywhere and we were hungry, but with those numbers to look at it took a while to see EVERY food booth and ponder the calorie counts. Now keep in mind fat is not shown - whew. Do you think we ordered the garlic fries or popcorn? FRIES! The fries were 2,000 less calories! I know this seems odd, but I'm not questioning it because that is what I wanted. The large tub of salty, buttery popcorn was 2,250 calories!!! So yeah, whatever, I'm eating my fries and rejoicing in the fact that they are lower in calories than the freaking bucket of popcorn. The steak and cheese sandwich - I think maybe 500 or 600 hundred calories - the ice cream bucket was 480 calories. The pop 230 ... it goes on and on. We split it all - I think that removes the guilt factor here right? At this point I won't even mention how crazy expensive the food was - let's just say we could have had lunch at Ruth's Chris and come out about even. Well pretty close.
Now do you think this is making people think twice about eating crap? It made us that's for sure. I saw two people with buckets of popcorn. A very small child and someone else. Makes me think other people probably were watching too.
Our final treat to savor... cupcakes ... all the rage in the city... check out the link they are to die for! It was a random find near our hotel. We bought two and we have not eaten them yet - and they survived the trip home! mmmmm.....
3 comments:
I didn't notice the calorie count when we were there in Oct. That is just spooky. Why is the city a food nanny? Don't people have enough guilt? It could ruin a vacation!!! That said, I hope we get back this fall.
Panera had them posted when I went last night. I thought that was bad enough, but at the ball park is just cruel.
Andrea
I can understand making people aware of what they are eating, but when it gets to be a certain count why even sell it? Food Nanny - funny.
Post a Comment