Sunday, June 26, 2011

day of firsts

Lot's of firsts today.  First farmer's market of the season and also the first time Lane has gone to the farmer's market.  It's only around the corner from home and it's just the right size for us.  We don't have to wander aimlessly shopping for the best price as there is only one veggie vendor and she has great prices - we get the Whole Foods Market's leftovers...  things she didn't sell to them this week and it's all fresh and good.  I would imagine some was picked yesterday morning too just for us!  We love the veggie lady and she came thru again yesterday with sweet carrots and baby peas!  Made for a first time ever mash up of baby peas and carrots and it got snarfed down with lots of happy baby eating noises.
First time trying out a Saturday evening mass as well.  Didn't go as well as a Sunday morning and Lane ended up falling asleep outside on daddy.  Then we went to the church bazaar - another first.  Think country fair, but the food looked a bit better.  Don't ask for a review on that as we did skip it.  Huge tents and entertainment.  It was geared towards kids a little older and we wanted more than fair food for dinner so we hit the road after taking a walk around.
We ended up going to dinner at a diner I was at a few weeks ago for work.  Figured my breakfast was pretty good  (translation non-greasy for a diner...) and the desserts in the case rival the Cheesecake Factory.  I was told the other meals were pretty good too.  First off a diner usually has good burgers so we were taking a risk by going here for a non-burger dinner.  A huge risk by diner standards.  This place needs to come off the diner map.  It's not your typical diner.  As Mark said it's quite gourmet, something about goodness in the bread.  We both ended up getting the same thing.  Southern Fried Chicken with biscuits, mashed potatoes and corn. (yes, I'm sure my mom is drooling right now along with a few others and yes it was that good...) Had some sort of white gravy on parts of it - we didn't bother to ID it.  Not greasy so I'm wondering what their trick was maybe the oven and good spices?  My greek salad had real peppers in it, olives with pits and tons of feta.  Even some foo-foo lettuce as it's called in our house.  Field greens mix to most people.  Mark was not overly pleased that the appetizer that came with it was a stuffed clam.  I was somewhat amused as I had never had one and I figured stuffed meant some sort of stuffing with clam in it.  And it was stuffing and it was pretty good and I'm not a clam person.    The topper...  any dessert of our choice from the sweets case.  I got tiramasu cake and Mark had the strawberry shortcake cake - lots of cake I know.  Mine was good and Mark didn't share so I would imagine it was also good.  We did get it to go in case you were wondering how we managed to stuff all that food in.  It was good last night and again this afternoon.  Huge slices.   Lane enjoyed his first mashed potatoes and had lots of fun making tons of noise.  He was getting a bit crazy over something there.

1 comment:

Marjie said...

i wanna go there do they have chicken fried steak???