Saturday, July 5, 2008

Lots of things checked off our list!

or as Mark said knotches we can put in our belt. Things we can say we've done and never have to do again. It was a busy and one of a kind 4th of July! We met up with Greg and Debby in New York City. They were married last year on 7/7/07 so this is their 1st anniversary and we met up for dinner and fun. This is the one thing we would do again - meet up with them for dinner and fun.
#1 ... Watched the 35,000 - 40,000 fireworks on FDR Drive with hundreds of thousands of other people - trust me many were not New Yorkers although there was plenty of rude shouting about umbrella's so I know they were present in the crowd. Some of the fireworks were smiley faces, squares, the flag and other things I couldn't quite pick out. Fantastic and totally worth getting wet for. I'm quite sure there were at least a million people watching if not more. Way too many people. Many people started leaving about 10 minutes into the 30-45 minute show. There were many displays that made you think it was the grand finale. I mean we fought hard to get our spots so why leave?
That brings me to #2 - watching fireworks in the rain. We were lucky that the hotel G & D stayed at let us borrow their umbrella's for free. They still shot them off and we all had to put down our umbrella's or ran the risk of being tossed in the river hence we still got wet. So much for those countless times fireworks shows have been cancelled - they still work in the rain people! And rain doesn't hurt you.
#3 ... Used an umbrella to protect my face from other umbrella's. Almost became a weapon as most people don't pay any attention to those around them.
#4 ... We walked at least 8 miles in our treks that day and I was wearing sandals. Dumb I know and I have blisters on the bottom of feet to show for it. The wine helped I'm sure. Today I'm not so happy and am hobbling around.
#5... took the sky tram to Roosevelt Island. Need to find out more about it. The hospital there looked VERY old. Great view of the city however on the tram. Cheap $4 thrill.
#6... Mark got an awful cold just in time for the 4th of July.
#7... ate breakfast at the singing diner on Times Square. Ellen's. DO NOT GO THERE! Total toursit trap and very BAD food. So-so singers. Broadway wanna be's I'm sure.
#8... stayed in the smallest hotel to date. It was a closet, but comfy. I would stay there again too. Hudson's Hotel - you must try it. It was a priceline special. Would have liked to have checked out the bar, but was way too tired upon our return after the fireworks.
and #9.... I got poisin IVY!!! Can you believe it? Guessing it's from our hike earlier in week. Found it when we got back after the fireworks. Just on my lower leg and so far not itchy. I'm sure that is yet to come. If it gets good I might post a few shots for entertainment purposes.
and we have to have a #10 ... let's see... took the smallest overnight bag to date. Need to get something bigger next time. A big backpack would be a great idea.
And yes mom I know I owe you a food report from Seattle yet.... I'll do that soon!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Wish we had fireworks like that!

Marjie said...

I couldn't stand to be in a crowd that big, but it sounds grreat.