Sunday, August 24, 2008

natures harvest

We've been spending a fair amount of time exploring our new neighborhood - really more like the 10 mile radius around our house-to-be and we've discovered it is very agricultural. Leaf Peepers have already started their fall trips and this also makes for a long commute on Friday afternoons as I found out by accident. Also by accident we found a fancy restuarant for dinner. It's right around corner from our house and I would classify as a fancy date place. Problem is we weren't in fancy date clothes. Not too big a deal and they still treated us nicely. All the servers were older men so that was a refreshing change from the teeny bopper you usually get. The view is amazing if you get a window seat and food mighty tasty too. I had grouper topped with Maryland crab and some sauce. So good. They grow some of the veggies right out their back door - how cool is that? I'm pretty sure the chef's veggie mix was from there.
On Saturday morning we took a trip to Lowe's to pick out our dryer and fridge. Gotta love the appliance clearance section. We did awesome! Along the way to Lowe's we must have passed at least 5 farm stands or farmer's markets. Most are organic and the selection is amazing. I've been to quite a few around here and it's really fun to see what they have. Peaches are in season and really this is the only time of year to eat them - I hate woody peaches and these are so juicy even though they feel firm. Tomato's are interesting as there are many heirlooms that the farmers sell. Last night we had tomato salad with orange, red and white streaks, green and yellow streaks and a funky red blue colored one. The flavors are all different, but good. Dare I try to grow them? Probably not because they are so cheap to buy and it supports another person. So I will enjoy them for now.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I love new appliances. I even love hearing about other people buying new appliances. I think it's a sickness.

Marjie said...

I had forgotten this is your first time as a country girl. And you are loving it already. Produce sounds great. Are the leaves turning already?

Aaron, Katie, Kylie & Ava said...

We love Lowe's here at the Gulliver household! We just bought a new microwave and will eventually buy the other kitchen appliances from there. When is the official move-in date?

Katie said...

it's still very green here - turns towards the end of October I am hearing.