Wednesday, August 20, 2008

White Eggplant

Weird I know it should be purple, but at the farmer's market they were selling them and I bought one. They said it was sweeter - if that's possible. I had great success making eggplant parm with it tonight. I sliced it into half inch slices dipped it in egg and then dipped it in bread crumbs (those that come in the can). Then I fried it in olive oil for until golden brown, popped it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Yummy! I did put little mozzarella balls on top at the end and then used spaghetti sauce as a dipping sauce of sorts. Easy and very good. You could use the normal mozz cheese and it will taste pretty much the same. Overall it had a mild flavor. My other cooking experiment currently in the oven is peach bread pudding. Since I'm not so sure about the hot water bath baking method I'll be curious to see how it turns out. We've been trying bread pudding when we get desert and I like it so I figured it might be good to learn how to make it. Most of the time it will have apples or peaches in it - not your usual bread pudding.
It's been almost 6 months since I really followed a recipe and I only left out one thing - vanilla - I didn't have any. I used extra brown sugar - that should help right? I sure hope so!

3 comments:

julie said...

blueberry and lemon bread pudding is so good... I need to make that soon. how did yours turn out??

Katie said...

It turned out pretty good - I used 5 eggs and next time I would use 3. I also used half and half and not the full strength stuff. Vanilla is probably needed and I will use it next time. Other than that it was easy. It was really a gluten free recipe and I used regular bread. When I have a real kitchen I'm going to try the steam bath method - tin foil on top seemed to work too. Blueberry and lemon sounds good too!

Marjie said...

My mom never made bread pudding, and either did yours. Your dad doesn't like it. So I only made it once. I like it! The eggplant sounds great. You sound ready to have a real kitchen again.