Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

With all the excitement of moving and settling in we decided to spend the weekend in our new area and do a little scouting. I thoroughly enjoyed my Friday off even though Garmin got me lost and I was late for lunch. For some reason it thinks Walmart is in the middle of a woods in a residential area. Totally annoying. Don't worry I wasn't going to eat lunch at Walmart, but it was the one thing I knew that was close to the deli so that's what I punched in. Won't be going to Walmart ever with Garmin again.
After lunch we decided we needed some good for the weekend so it was off to the grocery store. Adams Fairacres is a cool grocery store that is mostly the outer edge of most other stores - meaning there aren't a lot of things on the inner shelves. Think produce, bakery and meats. We went there to pick up a few Easter weekend treats - steak and polish sausage mostly. They have my favorite Harney tea and this yummy cherry ginger pop. It has quite the zing from the little pieces of ginger. Definitely not Vernors, but quite good. Saturday I made use of the cool little guide book Kelley gave me and we drove down to West Point and then over to Cold Spring. We really could have used Sean and his Army ID to snag a map of West Point, but I'm sure we'll be back for a football game this fall. From Cold Spring we were able to see the other side of West Point across the river. It's a cute little village with lots of antique stores and little places to eat. I've decided taking the train from each side of the river is a must - the train runs at the edge of the river and the rocks going up the side are really cool. One side take you to Manhattan and the other to New Jersery and then Manhattan. Once again I did take pictures, but now Mark has the camera with him on the road. Speaking of Mark.... he's discovered my blog and I think he found it slightly entertaining. He's trying to learn how to leave comments and I'm sure once he figures out you'll be hearing from him too.
So for Sunday... no bunny bringing chocolate here - remember we have lots and lots of Girl Scout cookies and really I need no more chocolate so we decided no candy this year. We drove to Millbrook for brunch. Again another very cute village - we'll go back when we have visitors and show them the Taconic Parkway. Crazy road with lots of boulders and trees and no semi's allowed. Brunch was good and let's just say I was happy we were there first because they didn't require new plates for each trip up to the buffet. It was good, but geez that's sort of gross. We'll take you to another place when you visit as there were about 6 that looked very good, but not open for Easter.
So now for the house hunt update... We are back to Cornwall on the Hudson (village) and have found some neat subdivisions that are mostly houses on a hill with narrow roads. You'll notice we like the village concept and I think they are all cute and I think it's because the idea of walking to the store or out for the night is appealing to us. We drove around there quite a bit on Saturday and hope our realtor can show us a few houses next weekend. It's sort of nice not having a house right now because we get to spend time checking things out and not having to do yard work or clean house. Give me a few more weeks and I'm sure I'll be whining that I miss my bed.

2 comments:

Marjie said...

Living in a smally town is fun. You remember walking to school every day. Your dad and I would walk to the downtown and eat at Marty's or go to the movies. It is just fun to do. There must be lots of nice houses. One will be perfect.

julie said...

I can't wait to visit, so hurry up and buy a cute house in a quaint little village full of good shops and even better restaurants! We had 3 West Pointers over for dinner on Saturday, I'm sure I can get some tips from them on what to see at WP.