Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Top 10 Things You Need to Know about Living in NY

I'm learning a lot - almost ready for visitors, but one at a time please. We just have the couch and I promise we won't let the cats visit you at night. That would mean that they get free rein of the pad and that's not happening - too many "toys" to play with. Cords and such. Anywho.... here goes!
1. Enough about the cheating govenor(s)!!!! For some reason they can't elect anyone with morals. You're married - does it matter - not here I guess. I can't wait for the next govenor's election it's going to be a cat scratch fest.
2. From our apartment parking lot you can see the other side of the river. And also hear the trains zoom by. Can't hear them indoors luckily.
3. If I was a bird and flew to work I'd go over the downstate prison every day. Instead I just drive by it. The speed limit is 40 mph - do you think I'm going to drive that slow? NO.
4. There are deli's on very corner and they all use Boars Head meats to my delight.
5. You have to wear steel toed shoes in a factory - mine are quite the fashion statement. Need to visit the Wolverine Outlet next time we are in GR. I need some chicky CAT boots.
6. The roads are not straight, but curvy. So while you might think it's just over there it might be 10 minutes or more.
7. If they decide your house is worth more they just raise your value and you pay way more in taxes. Call and complain and watch it drop again. The things I am learning at work...
8. So you want a newly built home - well it's a McMansion and nothing else. Less than 2500 sq. feet isn't in the vocab around here. Unless it's a condo and even those are way too big. Oh and you want it another color other than white. Well we found one in yellow - in every room.
9. Wait you want to buy a "used" home - well get ready to update the 1970's kitchen and bath. The price is pretty much the same as a new home that is much bigger. I'm baffled. We are not moving into the Brady Bunch house!
10. Veggie pizza is pretty darn good, but Mark isn't going to eat it. Learned that next time I can just buy a slice - instead of a whole pie! It was good, but I could only eat 2 pieces. I can eat there too and then go shopping at the dollar store (Mom would love it - I have yet to make it in there). Two thumb's up for both Frank's and Leo's. Why are pizza places named after men?

p.s. my spell check now works???

3 comments:

Aaron, Katie, Kylie & Ava said...

How is New York life so far? Sounds like you are enjoying it so far. We miss you here though!

Katie said...

It's ok. Liking the early hours. :~)

Andrea said...

I wrote about 10 things-obligation complete. Can't wait to come visit